RFID is proven robust wireless technology employed across a number of vertical markets. 2.45GHz is the most prevalent frequency range for wireless connectivity. Leveraging on this frequency, active RFID can achieve reliable read ranges of up to 260 feet, free air. The ability of active RFID to proliferate a signal throughout a building is essential in maintaining such reliability. Active tags broadcast their identity to listeners which record the event. Memex tags are housed in water resistant, high temperature Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) or Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) materials. Memex redefines active RFID technology through innovative approaches to employing RFID for asset tracking, tracing and management.
RFID has become an indispensible tool that allows manufacturers to see information about assets in real-time. Applications built around RFID help report immediate deviations and exceptions to any process. RFID has allowed companies to build authentication and confirmation into previously error-prone processes.
According to John Rattray, of Memex Automation, "By monitoring assets such as tooling, raw materials, Work In Progress, computers, vehicles and any moveable assets, companies can know quickly, exactly, and securely where assets are located. RFID is eliminating costly mistakes resulting in fewer manufacturing errors. These errors were due to wrong parts used or wrong specification settings. RFID is being used to locate semi-finished goods and eliminate costly delays due to lost or hard-to-find inventories. RFID works hand in hand with OEE, Lean and Six Sigma principles."
RFID allows manufacturers to identify, time stamp, and confirm the location of all measured elements. Manufacturers today look to RFID technology to help them run more efficient operations that help minimize production down time, optimize material and parts inventories, improve and maintain optimal labor output. The payback is often measured in weeks and the Return On Investment (ROI) is typically 10-100% depending on the value of the assets tracked.
Memex Automation Inc. has the broadest selection of proven deployed technology tools. In addition to improving manufacturing performance, RFID is being used to improve safety. RFID is being used to authenticate operators to ensure only properly trained personnel have access to potentially dangerous equipment or sensitive information.
- Real-time tracking of inventory, part kits and sub-assemblies
- Maintains current item information on the tag - ideal for managing production of complex or customized products and assemblies, eliminates the need for separate paperwork on assembly status and content
- Can automatically notify the central product database when each process has been completed
- Field personnel can use RFID tag information to determine product features, date of manufacture, revision levels
- When errors are detected the ability to track at the item level reduces the impact of quality recalls
RFID Asset Management Solutions from Memex Automation Inc. include any of the following hardware/products:
- RFID tags / Bar Code Labels
- Hand held scanners / readers
- RFID readers / antennas / portals
- GPRS data modules
- Mobile computers
- Mobile Agents
- Network routers / firewalls
- Dedicated server hardware
- Advanced Software: Gateway, Engine and Dashboards
About Memex Automation Inc.
Memex Automation Inc., http://www.memex.ca, a unit of Astrix Networks Inc., was created to leverage the research and development of Memex Electronics, which was founded in 1992. Memex continues its tradition of serving the discrete manufacturing sector, supplying component hardware, memory upgrades, and visionary shop floor communication technology. Memex products allow a manufacturer to realize the impact of OEE Profitability.